Candle Making Wax – Know the Waxes Used to Make Candles

Today, with the growing popularity of candle making, the demand for candle making wax has increased significantly. The passage of time has also contributed to the increase in diversity of candle making from designs to components. People are constantly looking for the “new thing” and since wax is the primary component in candle making, new improvements have been made to make candle making wax become better, more available, and with more diversity and variety than before.

There’s an old saying that goes this way – “Progress springs from the acknowledgement of your roots”. Let’s get to know the various waxes that are used to make candles.
One of the first choices that an aspiring candle maker/entrepreneur is going to be faced with is what candle making wax to choose.

Generally, there are 4 types of candle making waxes

• Paraffin Wax
• Soy Wax
• Beeswax
• Gel Wax
• Palm Wax

Paraffin Wax

Paraffin wax is one of the most flexible and most widely used waxes today. It comes in a variety of melt points which are useful for many different applications such as votives, pillars, and containers.
Majority of the commercially produced candles you buy in stores today are all paraffin – based. However, it is not universally accepted these days. Paraffin wax is a by-product of crude oil, and eco – friendly folks often label it as “bad” just because it is a cousin of petroleum. Just because it is related to petroleum doesn’t automatically tag it as toxic.

Soy Wax
Soy wax is a newbie on the candle making hemisphere…but has taken already made a bold statement. With the influx of demand for “natural” candles increasing, soy wax was developed in the early 90s as an option/alternative to the petroleum-conceived paraffin, and the eco – friendly, but expensive, beeswax. Like paraffin, soy wax comes in a multitude of blends and melting points, though container blends are the most widely used soy waxes. A vast majority of the soy waxes are made from pure soybean oil while the others are mixed with other vegetable oils and waxes mainly coconut and palm and beeswax respectively. 홈타이

Bees Wax

Beeswax is the grandfather of all candle making waxes. Beeswax candles were first discovered inside the ancient Egyptian pyramids. It was the ancient man’s first plastic and for many years has been primarily used as a modeling material. Bees produce Beeswax as a byproduct of making honey. The bees excrete the wax into “combs” for the purpose of incubating their larvae. The infusion with honey during its creation produces a naturally sweet smell/fragrance which varies depending on the flowers or plants that the bees are consuming. After it is harvested, the beeswax is melted and filtered numerous times. Beeswax can be purchased in blocks or slabs, very much like paraffin.

Gel Wax

Candle gel wax in actuality is not a wax at all rather it is a mixture of resin and mineral oil. The patent for gel wax belongs to the Penreco Company. Gel wax shares many similarities to other waxes. It is similar to the other waxes in that it carries scent and color and it also melts and burns. The only differentiator lies in its transparency that fosters for a completely different variety of candles. Gel wax is similar to other waxes in that it holds scent and color and melts and burns. Gel wax, in the past, was primary used for container candles. Recently, however, new gel that is strong enough to make pillars has been introduced into the market.

Palm Wax

Palm wax generally shares certain similarities to soy wax. Both are made from natural oil with palm oil in the case of palm wax. 75% of palm oil is harvested on a worldwide scale and is used as a component in food. The remaining 25% is used for other commercial and and agricultural products. Palm wax is also widely used as a component in villars and votives mainly because it is very firm and brittle. The affect is also produces on the candles is quite exquisite because of the crystalline appearance it renders. Palm wax can also be used in conjuNction with soy wax to make it more solid while still maintaining its natural qualities.

Author: Worldhide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *